Title/Position: Senior Editor, Crime Fiction
Location: New York, NY—Hybrid
Employment Type: Full Time
Min. Experience: 5-8 years
Crooked Lane Books is looking for an ambitious, connected, and energetic Senior Editor to join our team. The ideal candidate must be an expert in and champion of crime fiction. They are hands-on, know what readers want, and are constantly collaborating with authors and agents to deliver it. An entrepreneurial spirit, sense of ownership of projects, and close relationships with agents and authors are essential. This role reports directly to the Publisher and may oversee editorial team members depending on experience. This position provides the opportunity for rapid professional growth.
- Evaluate, acquire, and edit 10-15 crime fiction titles with strong sales potential in their first year and grow their list from there
- Build and maintain a robust network of literary agents and authors to find or develop the very best mysteries, thrillers, and suspense novels
- Conduct sales, marketplace, and reader research as it relates to potential and/or existing titles to ensure that every title meets reader expectations and reaches its intended audience
- Shape offers with an understanding of the market and profit and loss statements and negotiate preliminary business terms for author agreements
- Work with authors, agents, marketing, publicity, sales, production, and design to set the vision and goals for every title and manage the publishing process to ensure the achievement of those goals
- Prepare title information, catalog, and jacket copy, and review marketing and publicity materials
- Pitch titles at internal and external meetings from acquisitions to sales conference
- Enthusiastic hands-on doer and catalyst
- Bachelor’s degree or higher
- 5-8 years of experience in an acquisitions role at a trade publishing house
- Ability to acquire and conceive of high impact projects
- Established network of authors and agents
- Established track record of publishing commercial crime fiction
- Experience supervising and managing staff is a plus
- An understanding of and appreciation for the ideas of inclusion, equity, and diversity.
- Exceptional writing and presentation skills
- Ability to prioritize and multi-task several projects concurrently and demonstrate strong attention to detail and follow-up
Founded in 2014, Crooked Lane Books (crookedlanebooks.com) publishes the highest quality mysteries, thrillers, and suspense titles. With our experienced team, hands-on approach, and innovative marketing techniques, Crooked Lane partners with each author to consistently excite, delight, and entertain the many devoted fans of crime fiction.
Please apply by emailing Rebecca.Nelson@CrookedLaneBooks.com.